Thursday, February 10, 2011

(re) Purposeful: Cake Stand or Plant Stand

We escaped our snowy abode this past weekend and made a little trip up north to visit my birth dad's family in Iowa...yes we went NORTH...even though it was a bit colder up there, we were kept warm by all the love and hugs we got when we arrived! It's hard to stay chilled when the house is filled with three sisters, my brother, his girlfriend, my sweet little nephew, a passel of  grandparents and assorted flavors of aunts and uncles coming and going. We had a wonderful time and the kids were thoroughly spoiled! ;o)
It was there that I was reminded of a fun craft that my step mom got me started on last year. She loves to garden and has tons of pots all overflowing with plants sprouting all over their property. It's so whimsical! During a phone conversation she told me about how she found all these sweet, vintage, orphaned plates that could be glued on candlesticks as plant holders! Well I scoured the local thrift stores and tried my hand in it!  Once I made a few I realized that plants are just the beginning...they would make adorable cake stands, candle-scapes, cupcake holders...you could even stack them for tiered dessert serving!  EEK! Here's what I came up with:




If you decide to try your hand at making these, check out your local thrift stores!  They have TONS of candlesticks and in all different sizes! I like the ones with a wide top so there's plenty of surface for glue. Also, don't count out the ugly candlesticks! The dark plant stand was once a glaring shade of blue...after a light coat of spray paint, it's perfect! For glue, I definitely recommend E6000....be careful though, it's strong!!! Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment