Thursday, February 24, 2011

Beads and Things

Since it's such a gloomy, rainy, and overall NASTY day, I thought it would be fun to post a few of my favorite lampworked beads. I rarely have time to get on the torch anymore... hot, molten glass and toddlers just don't seem to mix well! 
I started as a "stringer", someone who strings beads and charms into jewelry, but the obsession quickly escalated and unique beads were harder and harder to find. My birth mom finally decided to get her own little Hot Head torch and began making her own beads. The first time she sat me down in her studio I was hooked! Truly love at first burn...HA!
I've since graduated to a Bobcat that runs on an oxygen concentrator and propane. It's hard to find glass rods in KC...Moon Marble has a pretty good selection of Vetrofond but for Moretti, I order from Frantz.


There really is no other feeling quite like running downstairs to peek at the treasures I've created in the kiln the next day...maybe Christmas morning? As the kids grow and can entertain themselves safely, (they can literally set themselves on fire in the time it takes to change the laundry over) I hope to reconnect with this amazing art form and medium!



No comments:

Post a Comment