Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Kitchen Project: Stove Hood

In my kitchen some of the appliances are white, some are black (which they all will be someday soon) but NONE are bisque except for the lonely little hood over the stove. It really bothered me, especially after spending two weekends painting the kitchen (the first color was too orange and the second was too pink but mixed together they are just right) and I knew we didn't want to spend the dough on a new one.
Well as my husband finished washing the brushes and I finished my second beer (never paint without it) I had a light bulb moment! I took the hood out, barely missing electrocuting myself in the process, and lightly sanded it all over. Then it received two coats of Rustoleom's Hammered Bronze spray paint and was left to dry.  Here's my thinking on it....it's already an eyesore, we're probably going to replace it anyway if this doesn't work and I've been DYING to try out my new spray paint!  Also it will match the oil-rubbed bronze hardware I previously installed so it's not such a stretch of the imagination to think it might actually work...right?
Here's the final result:
I LOVE IT!  I think the spray paint cost me under $4.00 and my husband's relief at not having to work overtime to buy a new hood was priceless!

1 comment:

  1. A friend on Facebook asked how I treated the switches for fan/light/etc..., and what I did about the underside where the fan and light bulb reside. I used blue painter's tape (masking tape should work too) and completely covered the faceplate and switches. I carefully removed it after the second coat before it dried all the way to prevent peeling. I completely ignored the underside and left it bisque. It doesn't show and therefore it doesn't bother me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete