Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Kitchen Project: Bowl Decor

When we bought this house, I knew the kitchen was going to require some attention.... Honestly, it's where the 70's went to die! The countertops are a dark brown, "butcher block" laminate and the cuphoards have these Gothic cut-outs that boggle the mind on how to update without completely replacing! Since we are down to one income, I've been taking little bites and doing one or two projects at a time to save us the giant one time expense of a gut job. 
The first order of business was to paint! The cabinets are a really toasty warm wood and I think their "Gothic" look could be interpreted as "old world"... and even if it's a stretch it's what the budget demands! I chose a warm orangey-tan color which took two trips to Walmart's paint center to find and then after a few beers I just mixed both "Oops" colors together and went for it!  It actually worked!

I also changed the painted-plastic hardware out for some oil-rubbed bronze handles that came in packs of 8 at Home Depot. What about the hinges, you ask? One great thing about a 70's kitchen is the hinges are so old and dingey, they actually matched the oil-rubbed bronze look!
So now that it's painted and has some "jewelry" on, I really need to dress up the walls! I found some black iron wall appliques at Hobby Lobby (50% off) and those look great but the walls still seem a bit bare. I've been biding my time, scouring the stores and once again Hobby Lobby has come to the rescue! They had these beautiful bowls marked down 80%!!!
Now I have no idea if they make those metal and wire plate holders for bowls...I searched Walmart and Hobby Lobby to no avail BUT did find these adhesive plate hangers and hope they hold as well as they claim!
Now they must cure for the day but I will definitely post the end results! I plan on putting them on either side or the iron appliques over the sink and two more over the stove.

END RESULT:

I really love it and so far none of the bowls have thrown themselves from the wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment