Friday, February 11, 2011

FAST FOOD: Shabbat Edition!

Shabbat is to be a time of rest and I like to think that the meal shouldn't be a huge source of stress as well! I wish I could spend my whole morning elbow-deep in fragrant Challah dough, baking and making sauces but the reality is I might not have had time to even shower! After four hours of sleep last night (and that's stretching it a bit) I decided to give myself a break but still provide my family with a delicious Shabbat meal. Here's the plan:

Shabbat Dinner Menu-
Barbecue Chicken
Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Challah Bread
Corn on the Cob

Ok so the first thing I did was order Challah bread from the local Panera... they make the most delicious breads and it's always ready to go when I come pick it up! (Let them destroy their own kitchen and clean it up!)
Second task is to get the chicken in the crock pot. I throw in frozen, boneless, skinless chicken thighs and smother them with honey barbecue sauce. Cook on high til the chicken is no longer pink and then let it simmer on low til meal time. The longer it cooks the more tender and tasty the chicken becomes, not to mention the whole house smells mah-velous!
Third step is start the boiling water... one large pot for the corn and one for the potatoes. While waiting for them to bubble, clean and peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. I cook both the corn and the potatoes for around 20 min.
Once the potatoes are done I add a heaping spoonful of margarine, a splash of milk and beat until clumpy but not mashed. I then, "semi-melt" a 8oz package of cream cheese in the microwave and add it to the potato mixture and keep beating until they are smooth and creamy. I season with fresh cracked pepper and garlic salt til I like the flavor.

Seriously that's it! Super easy and tasty chicken with sides that are minimal work!  Shabbat Shalom my friends!

4 comments:

  1. What type of corn do you use? frozen, corn on the cob? Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie- Thanks! I had some sweet corn on the cob leftover from this summer's farmer's market, in the freezer! It ws delicious but sadly it was our last precious ears so I can't wait til it's in season again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought some peaches and cream corn on the cob at Price Chopper yesterday for our shabbat meal. It was only 99 cents for 6 ears. I thought it wouldn't be good being out of season, but it was very tasty! You have till Tuesday midnight to buy some up. But I am like you, I like the fresh better, This was better than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that! I'm glad to hear the corn was really tasty because it can be such a disappointment when you buy produce out of season. I am SO ready for summer and all the fantastic farmer's markets!!!

    ReplyDelete