Thursday, June 16, 2011

Texas Trip: Bottle Cap Necklaces

There is something so fun about being able to craft with a friend...  For me it takes some of the anxiety out of trying a new project and I love the process of sharing ideas! So when planning the trip to Texas, we decided to make bottle caps necklaces...at first for the kids, but they were so cute we ended up making some for us too! :o)
For the supplies: We saved bottle caps from the last 2 months while waiting in agony for the trip to happen. I wanted to try out Mod Podge Dimensional Magic but all the KC stores were out or had never heard of it. I ended up ordering a 3-D glaze on Ebay and it worked great! The project also called for metal washers and strong craft magnets which I purchased at Walmart. Lyndy had the great idea to check out Joann's trimmings for lengths of nylon in different colors for the necklace. We chose pink for the girls and black for us. The trip was a mad success because Joann's (in Texas anyway) has Mod Podge Dimensional Magic...just in case you were wondering! Before I forget, I also packed up a bunch of cute scrap book paper and stickers for the pendants.
Friday afternoon, once the kids were napping, we pulled out our treasures and made our caps! We put a dab of 3-D glaze in the cap, cut out quarter-sized pieces of paper and embellished with tiny stickers and fixed it to the inside of the cap. After that dried a little, we filled the whole cap with 3-D glaze and set aside to dry. Here's a few of our favorites: 

I think we made over 30 caps!!! It's a bit addicting... I also used super glue to fix the magnet to the washer, allowing some space to thread the nylon necklace through.
The downside of the project is that it took FOREVER for the 3-D glaze to dry. The next day they were still gummy and squishy. However the cute-ness factor completely outweighs this and the girls were thrilled to mix and match caps all day! Honestly, I can't wait to make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment