Thursday, June 9, 2011

SUMMER FUN: Our Pool!!!

We all know that baby pools are really no fun for anyone over 3ft tall so when the decision was made to get something the adults could wallow in too, I was beyond excited!!! I didn't want to go too big because water testing, filters, and chemicals kind of seemed like too much work for a couple of toddlers. So I settled on a nice inflatable, rectangle pool with a drain and plenty of room to lounge whilst the yard monkeys splashed around.

We were blissfully happy for the first few days until the water got stinky and the bottom turned a weird, greenish hue. I drained it and hauled it over to the hose to scrub it, rinse it and refill it....Ok that was awful!!!  Maybe the big pools and their filtration systems were on to something?
My salvation came when, on impulse, I ducked into a small pool and hot tub store. The advice I got was to float a small chlorinator device in the pool with a chlorine tablet that lasted for a few weeks. I also purchased a skimmer (not the pole, just the actual skimming-thingy). I float the "chlorinator" at night and take it out before we all get in to play. My solution for dealing with the swarms of suicidal bugs that clog the water every morning was to buy a small tarp that floats on top of the water. Purchasing one that would cover the whole pool and tuck under the sides so it won't blow away, was ridiculously expensive!
We are now enjoying our little oasis very much and the upkeep has been surprisingly minimal now that I've got the few proper tools!
Happy Summer!

2 comments:

  1. Great advice Amy! Which pool store do you recommend? We have that exact pool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The supplies can be purchased at most hardware stores or even Walmart however if you'd like some advice, a pool store is your best bet! We went to Contemporary Pools in Olathe and dound the staff to be very friendly and knowledgeable! Have a great summer! :o)

    ReplyDelete