Saturday, April 9, 2011

(re)Purposeful: Picture Frames Revisited...

After blogging about all my ugly picture frames I raided my storage space and dragged out a boxful in assorted sizes. I'm still perplexed at what to do with the teeny tiny ones but I have struck GOLD with the larger ones!!!
I found a frame for an 8x10 picture and spray primed it weeks ago hoping some inspiration would hit me. It started as a teal and gold, 90's ornate eyesore, but it's amazing how much nicer things look with just a layer of primer! After immersing myself in DIY blogs for a few days I found the idea of turning frames (with the glass still intact) into little, personal dry erase boards. The mark from the dry erase pen, wipe off easily from the glass and they look so cute hanging on a wall!
Rejuvenated from all the blog-stalking, I resurrected the sad frame from the bottom of the pile and got to work. I painted it with black latex paint and while it dried, I cut a piece of light-colored scrapbook paper to fit inside the frame. Then, after waiting the agonizing amount of drying time, I put it all together.
It looked great but there wasn't a good spot to put the pen! I lose things in a blink so there really needs to be a place to keep the marker close.... After digging through my little shoppe, I found a piece of a dresser handle and hot glued it to the frame molding. I used jewelry wire with crimp tubes to connect the pen to the handle part and TA-DAH!!!!
I gave this one away as a gift but plan on making one for my kitchen to keep track of groceries and the menu for the week! I love that all the hanging apparatuses are already in place (because it is actually a picture frame) so there's no need to come up with a solution for hanging it!

3 comments:

  1. Amy, funny this post came up on a link to another blog, then I said, hey, I know that face! :). Awesome idea gf... Stacy (aka Metallic Flame and LT's Expressions)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! I think they make cute gifts as well! :o)

    ReplyDelete