Wednesday, April 13, 2011

FAST FOOD: DIY Pizza!

My four year old has become obsessed with our kitchen! How I long to just walk away and let her take over family meals however, the thought of her weilding a sharp knife gives me pause... (cringe) On the last trip to the grocery store I tried to think of some meals we could create together and stumbled upon already made pizza crusts! (Insert lightbulb moment here!) We made one tonite, had a fun time and man, was it tasty!!!


It takes a little planning ahead so take advantage of naptime or go ahead and let them duct-tape the cat to the ceiling fan while you brown some hamburger and chop veggies for the toppings! We used lean hamburger, turkey pepperoni, green peppers (that no one liked but me), black olives, mushrooms and lots of mozzarella cheese! I spread the sauce on and let her sprinkle cheese to her little heart's content. The ingredients were all organized in little bowls (am I the only one with kids who are adverse to food touching each other?) and we plotted 4 spaces on the pizza for each family member. She had a lot of fun taking orders for everyone's slice of the pie!

Once it was loaded and the oven hot, I carefully placed our lovely pizza in the oven. We used the leftover chopped veggies and made a salad for each person, and set the table. She never got bored and loved sampling all the ingredients! It came out 10 minutes later, piping hot and soooooo delicious! I think the whole meal took under 30 minutes to make and I got a little bonding time with my favourite Sous Chef! :o)
Bon Appetite!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Great idea! When the kids were small I would take refrigerator tube biscuits & put 2 together for the pizza crust on a cookie sheet. I'd use spaghetti sauce or make my own pizza sauce and let the kids use a tablespoon to schmear it on their crust. Then I would do like you, set the ingredients out so they pick the ones they wanted on their pizzas. This worked great for slumber parties too! Then we'd pop them in the oven and watch them closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. English Muffins are great too! They are tiny and hold a lot of toppings and get nice and crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are GREAT ideas! I love that the pizzas can be small and customized for little hands. We are definitely going to try these!!! Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete