Sunday, April 17, 2011

Passover Recipe: Chocolate Dipped Macaroons

It's almost mean to give out this recipe at a Weight Watcher's meeting BUT I'm so glad they did because they are DELICIOUS! Now that Passover is upon us I'm very worried how my little window-lickers will survive without their usual munchies. These macaroons have been a huge hit! I tried to make them with my 4yr old but they were very messy and hard to control. That would really be my only complaint, as I like to find recipes she and I can make together. My suggestion would be to maybe drip the chocolate on top instead of trying to dip these flaky, crumbly cookies in. I think she could handle that although I doubt if any of the chocolate would make it on top of the cookies....

Chocolate Dipped Macaroons:
(from weightwatchers.com)
3 large egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups packaged unsweetened, shredded coconut
3 oz bittersweet chocolate chips or pieces chopped into bits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper. (I skipped this part and perhaps this is why 4 cookies immediately fell apart when I tried to scrape them off the sheet.)
In a large bowl, whisk egg whites with sugar. Add vanilla and coconut; stir to combine.
Scoop up a level tablespoon of batter and form into a ball with your hands; repeat with remaining batter. Place each ball about 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
Bake until tops start to turn tan about 15-18 minutes. Remove cookies to a cooling rack for about 30 minutes (and arm yourself with a sturdy spatula to scare off would-be cookie thieves).
Place chocolate in a double burner or heavy pot; melt over low heat, stirring occasionally. (I cheated and melted bits in the microwave in 30 second spurts, stirring often so it didn't burn.) Keep chocolate warm and pliable as you dip tops of cookies into chocolate. Place dipped cookies on a metal tray evenly spread so they don't touch; freeze until chocolate sets, about 20-30 minutes.

I've also seen these dipped on the bottoms and I think that might be easier too. I plan on making another batch as my first attempt has all but disappeared from the kitchen....hmmmmmmm! LOL! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment