Sunday, April 17, 2011

(re) Purposeful: Meaningful Seder Plate

I couldn't be more excited for Passover to start! Well, now that I have the hametz (food with yeast and leavening in it) cleared out and the menu planned for the next 8 days... HA! In my enthusiasm I decided to hold the Seder meal at my house but ran into a small problem when I realized I don't own a Seder plate! I've had a friend ask me where you can purchase one because she wasn't comfortable ordering one online and being stuck with something she didn't like. After researching it a little I thought to myself: "Why not just make one?"
I have a lovely silver-plated platter that was given to me by my Grandma before she passed away, collecting dust in my hutch. It reminded me of my cake/plant stand project! After a productive trip to the Dollar Tree, I came home with a small, glass candle-stick holder and six, little glass bowls (and a TON of Luau decorations for my littlest's 2nd birthday party, but that's neither here nor there!).
After cleaning the platter, I used E-6000 to glue the candle-stick holder to the bottom of the platter. It sat all night while the bowls had a hot bath in the dishwasher.

Once I was sure the glue was dry and the bowls clean, I arranged them on the platter. I love the way it turned out! The next step is to Mod Podge the Hebrew words for each Seder ingredient on the bowls but I need to practise my calligraphy a little more.... Anyway, here's what I have now!

No comments:

Post a Comment